Here's five reasons why you should go on holiday to the Ardeche in the South of France...
The Ardeche in the South of France is one of the country’s best kept secrets. With its magnificent scenery, historic streets, delicious cuisine and beautiful gorge (where you can experience the best family canoe trip ever!) here’s why you should start planning a family holiday to the Ardeche this summer.
1. Family activities
If you’re an adventure enthusiast and love the great outdoors, then your family will love this region of France, which is often referred to as `The Grand Canyon of Europe`. Here you can canoe the Ardeche River, with its many turns and rapids, whilst taking in the beautiful views of the limestone gorge. Let our expert River Team help you refine your paddle skills and guide you down this beautiful stretch of river over two days. The two day canoe journey down the Ardeche River, with overnight bivouac continues to be one of the best activities we do. Acorn also offers a range of other activities in the Ardeche from climbing to high ropes, which form part of an action-packed six-night adventure.
2. Visit the Orgnac Caves
The Aven D’Orgnac was discovered in 1935 and visitors to the Ardeche Region in France can now admire the gigantic chambers and their magical crystal formations. Prepare to be amazed by nature’s art gallery.
3. Wander the historic streets of Vallon
Vallon Pont D’arc is in the Ardeche region of the Rhone-Alps at the western end of the Ardeche Gorge. The lively town is a charming place to visit with its streets lined with old buildings, cafes, and shops to explore. One of the highlights of the week is the French market which can be enjoyed on Thursday mornings or a popular night market takes place each week on a Tuesday evening. This is the perfect opportunity to experience French culture and even practice your French skills!
4. Soak up the sunshine
One of the reasons why this area is so great for outdoor enthusiasts is the fantastic weather. The summer months of July and August see temperatures soar to around 28 degrees, giving you the perfect excuse to jump in the river (or in our onsite pool) and cool down.
5. Admire the natural beauty
The Ardeche has some of Europe’s greatest natural scenery. Along with the beautiful Ardeche River Gorge, you can visit the iconic Pont D’arc, a 66-metre long natural stone bridge, which is listed as part of France’s natural heritage.
Our Adventure Centre in the Ardeche is ideally located close to Vallon and the pretty towns of Ruoms and Labeaume. Position on the banks of two rivers, our large centre is surrounded by trees and has a large swimming pool (with lifeguard) and café/bar. Our unique family tented villages (all set up with beds, hard flooring and a few extras) are the perfect family friendly environment offering a really sociable space for families to get to know each other. From here you will enjoy a week of organized activities, delivered by our qualified team of UK instructors. The highlight is the two day canoe journey of the Ardeche River, with overnight bivouac. Also included is a range of other activities such as climbing, high ropes, archery, raft-building, kayaking and more. There’s a free day so you can explore the local towns and area or relax by the onsite pool or nearby rivers.
About Acorn Family Holidays
Acorn is an ABTA bonded, well established tour operator, with over 38 years of experience in organizing adventure holidays for families and groups. We have nine Adventure Centres in the UK and Europe.
Travelling after Brexit- will your money be protected?
ABTA has recently issued a useful guide to travelling in Europe post Brexit. They have offered the following re-assurance to people booking their holidays before Brexit.
“Customers who book a package holiday with a UK travel company enjoy the most comprehensive consumer protection: if you book a package, your holiday will be protected under the Package Travel Regulations, meaning you have a right to a full refund if your holiday can no longer be provided”.
Alpine Adventure, Italy
- An action-packed adventure in the Aosta Valley, Italy
- White Water Rafting on the Dora Balta River
- Rock Climbing in the Italian Alps
- Hotel accommodation, with en-suite rooms
- All-inclusive family adventure holiday
Dordogne Adventure South West France
- Beautiful National Park setting named after its 1000 fresh water springs
- Excellent water sports programme, combined with a good variety of land based activities
- Indoor family accommodation in a private en-suite room
- Lots of other like-minded families
- All-inclusive family activity holiday
Spanish Mediterranean Adventure
- Watersports galore on the Mediterranean Sea!
- Excellent family friendly facilities including a large swimming pool, crazy golf, bar, restaurant and more...
- A full day at the Waterworld, Lloret de Mar -INCLUDED
- En-suite cabins on a private part of a Spanish complex, located within walking distance of the beach
Ardeche Adventure, South of France
- Canoeing with your family in the 'Grand Canyon of Europe'
- On-site swimming pool, beach area and cafe bar
- A range of exciting outdoor activities from climbing to kayaking
- Private, pre-erected family camping village